Why should you donate? All the goods you donate not only help prolong the life cycle of an item and keep it out of the landfill, but also stimulate our local economy. ...Read More
Helendale Thrift Store 26540 Vista Rd., Helendale, CA 92342
Hours Monday – Saturday 11am – 5 pm
What is Green Waste? • Yard waste including tree branches, cuttings, shrubs, flowers, brushes, grass clippings, tree trimmings, and prunings
• Untreated wood waste such as branches and stumps
• Similar materials generated by homeowners from their lawns and gardens or commercial or nonresidential activities
Green Waste is not: • Treated wood waste, such as wood containing lead-based paint or preservatives
• Manure and plant waste from the food processing industry
• Food waste
HELENDALE GREEN WASTE DROPOFFF
Backyard composting is an easy of managing green waste at home. Food scraps and yard waste make up about 20-30% of what we throw away, and can be composted instead. Making compost keeps these materials out of landfills where they take up space and release methane.
Composting requires three basic ingredients:
• Browns – This includes dead leaves, branches, and twigs
• Greens – This includes grass clippings, vegetables, fruits, and coffee grounds
• Water – Add water to your pile. Your pile should be the consistency of a wrung out sponge.
Your compost pile should have equal amounts of browns and greens. Composting has many benefits including:
• Enriches the soil, helping retain moisture reduces pests and disease
• Reduces the need for chemical fertilizers
• Encourages the production of beneficial bacteria in the soil creating a rich nutrient filled soil
• Reduces methane emissions from landfills and lowers your carbon footprint
You can compost in many different ways including using a store bought compost bin or just create a pile. Select a dry shady spot for your pile or bin. Add browns and greens as they are collected, the smaller the material, the easier and faster it will break down. Moisten the material as needed making sure not to get it too wet. Regular mixing or turning will help break down the material faster.